Saturday 13 January 2007

Goldeneye - A Trip Down Memory Lane

I was playing Goldeneye 007 for the N64 today (4 Player Licence-to-Kill, Facility, Pistols) and it got me thinking. This game came out in 1997 making it almost 10 years old! My point that in those 10 years, very few FPS games have managed to live up to this title - it remains one of my favourite games today. If you're interested, this is a great story of how the game got made and what it might have been! Oh, and if you're really into this game, check out my favourite Goldeneye site of all time!

Anyway, I'm very excited about this story, which adds fuel to the rumour that Goldeneye may be available on the Wii Virtual Console. I don't know about you but a four player deathmatch over the internet using the Wiimote (or a light-gun - Why not?) is an appetising prospect. The exact likelihood of this going ahead is unclear. Reggie Fils-Aime, the president of Nintendo of America says:

"Would I love to see it on virtual console? Absolutely. But there are a lot of issues there." He made it sound like there's a chance. "Suffice it to say we would love to see it, so we're exploring all the rights issues.

Rare, the makers of this classic were acquired by Microsoft a while back, so they develop exclusively for the xBox systems now. In fact, they won't be making their back catalogue available for the Virtual Console. Goldeneye appears to be an exception, since Activision owns the Bond game franchise now.

In related news, the Stamper Brothers, founders of Rare and creative talent behind many of their games have quit the company. Perhaps they might start developing for our beloved Wii!

One final Goldeneye story: Goldeneye Source an amazing mod for Half-Life 2 is finally in Beta. If you own Half-Life 2, I urge you to check this out.

I'll let this video do the talking.




No comments:

Add to blogmarks delicious digg furl google netvouz newsvine reddit spurl Technorati